It can be easy to take our spouse for granted… but unless we are intentional about putting positive moments into our relationship, the difficult moments will be more and more powerful and overwhelming. Sure, a big Valentine’s Day celebration is an investment in a positive, healthy marriage. But wouldn’t you love for the positive moments to happen every day? More and more often? Check out the next post in our blog series: Top Ten Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day (Every Day).
#9: Invest in positive moments together
It can be easy to take our spouse for granted – especially after you hit those big anniversaries (5 years, 10 years, 25 years?!) or the little ones start coming and stealing all of the attention.
Don’t give in to this temptation.
INVEST in your marriage, in your relationship. Intentional positive moments will keep you going during the difficult moments.
Unsure how to invest in positive moments as a couple? With nine days until Valentine’s Day, here are nine quick-and-easy investments:
- Say something nice (and preferably, unexpected).
- Hold hands in the grocery store.
- Pick up something they left out in the living room, instead of asking them to do it themselves.
- Read a psalm out loud to your spouse.
- Breathe in the scent of your spouse’s hair right after they get out of the shower.
- For every 1 negative that you have to say to them, give them 5 positives.
- Turn off the radio in the car and ask each other fun questions, like “what’s your favorite movie and why?”
- Re-create your first date and talk about your favorite memories of dating.
- Compliment your spouse in front of other people (including your kids).
Call to Action:
Pick one item off the list above and do it today. Pick a different one tomorrow. Keep going. And the next thing you know… it’s February 14th!